Wade Franklin via flickr

Image: Wade Franklin via flickr

Teddy made it through surgery. He is now in ICU at the animal hospital under observation. We still have to get through the next 24-48 hours. Worries are infection & possibility of a clot. If all goes well, he’ll be home in 2 days.

Things actually didn’t go to plan. We got up early this morning & trekked to the vet for surgery, ready to go. We got there & found out that the stones were definitely the kind that required surgery. So, the simple sedation & flushing were out. Given his Cushings, the vet decided she was less comfortable with doing the surgery herself. While she does surgery, it’s not her speciality. So, she referred us to the animal specialty hospital where Leo gets his oncology/chemo care.

Even though I’ve been going there almost weekly for the last 6 weeks & really like the staff, I remembered how stressed I got when I first had to take Leo in there. I was worried about having a melt down again. So, I called up a friend & she was kind enough to drop everything & come with me. Her presence helped so much. She shared her snacks with me at the hospital, because of course I hadn’t eaten–which only increases the likelihood of me having a meltdown. So, the snack was good. And she was just helpful with asking questions & keeping me calm.

Luckily we got another great doctor there, a surgeon. So, if anyone is in the Los Angeles area & needs a good animal specialty hospital, I can highly recommend Animal Specialty Group–at least their oncology & surgical departments. I’ve been to other animal hospitals in the area, & this is by far the best place I have ever been. Expensive, but good. (more…)

Advertisements

Finally talked to Leo’s vet today & got the timelines she didn’t want to leave on voicemail.

With no treatment: a month.

With chemo: a year.

The specifics are that the mass removed was a mast cell tumor, grade 3. Grade 3 means its the most malignant. Lovely.

So, all roads lead to chemo. I need to make an appointment with the oncology specialist who will take over his care & tell us more. Essentially, he/she will need to assess what stage the cancer is at, which will further affect the timelines & give us an idea of specific treatment protocols.

The idea that without treatment he might not make it a month seems totally bizarre. The vet did say that the one-month timeline lacked info on the size of the actual tumor. It’s a rough estimate or average based on the kind of tumor in general. But still, he’s perfectly fine right now. His energy level is normal, as is his appetite. I guess the appetite is something we’re supposed to be watching closely. If he starts experiencing nausea, vomiting, weight loss, or loss of appetite then that means things aren’t good.

But that doesn’t matter. We’re going chemo. Yes, I’m aware that it will have it’s own side-effects & issues; but, from what I’ve been told, dogs handle chemo much better than humans. And yes, there is the small issue of expense, but at this point, this is a problem I can throw money at–at least to a certain extent; so, I will. I’ll find the means.  I just want to buy time, for him & me.

So, positive thoughts.